Friday, March 23, 2012
Every chance we get a break, my friends and I head to bidi3 area for lunch. Seeing as Pizza Express seems to be a popular choice (ate there 3 times in a week), I decided to post pictures of the best of what they offer. Warning, they're pizza slices are really big so you'll probably have to fold them and end up looking like you're wrestling with your food while eating! Enjoy and try not to drool:
The Donna Colada (Pina Colada)
Portobello & closed cup mushrooms, cream, béchamel sauce, red onions, chopped parsley balsamic vinegar
Their Salmone pizza, it's reallyreallyreally good! Freakishly good! Did I mention that it's good?
This cute little bird was sitting next to me. Staring while we were eating. Slightly awkward and abnormal but not entirely strange :D
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Ever had that feeling where everything inside you yearns to visit a place you've never been? You don't know how to get there, who to go with, or why you want to go. But you know for sure that every fiber of your being wants to be there and that one day you'll get there and it'll feel like paradise. The worlds too beautiful not to see, and we're lucky enough to be living in an era where travel doesn't consist of riding your horse/camel out at the desert or taking your boat out at sea. If you can relate, then do share where you'd like to go :D
Thursday, March 8, 2012
Dearest people of the world,
Happy International Women's Day women! :D I'd like to address something i've been thinking about for quiet some time and would love for you to share you opinions. Women in Kuwait are blessed to be living the way they are, with the health care and education system we have. We're definitely better off than the majority of the female inhabitants of our planet BUT, some things could be better. Whatever happened to the common courtesy of being treated like an equal? Why is it that if a male is seen walking around or participating in something, it's completely normal and rarely questioned yet if a female decides to, then she's up to something? It makes me sad to know that some girls are not living to their full potential because they lack the support they need from their families. Putting aside the idea of misjudgment, it's unfair that even if a female were to go out alone, or for a walk around the neighborhood then she'd most likely feel unsafe. Screw walking around the neighborhood. Walking around a mall itself is awkward thanks to eye rape. You go somewhere and basically get stared down but the whole staring thing's a looong story. And let's talk about education. Yes, it is flattering that the government considers girls as smarter than boys but it is completely unjust that a female has to get a higher grade percentage than a male to get into college. Hell, it's gender discrimination. With that out in the open, I think something should be done about it. We should encourage young girls to participate as much as they can in our community to promote their being as active individuals of society. YA NAAS! Shaj3aw banaatkum ykamloun dirasat'hum! Shaj3oohum ysharkoun ib things that interest them! Let them know that they are capable of making a difference! Let them feel like they have the support they need to get out and accomplish incredibly grand things! As for the second issue... I have no idea who to contact or how to get word out about the injustice of college scores but know this. By enforcing that rule, we are not only making it harder for the women of our country to get into the major they want. But we are also underestimating men. With all that aside... Females, get out and celebrate your womanhood. And men, celebrate the women in your life.
by: Maya Angelou
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I’m telling lies.
It’s in the reach of my arms,
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I’m a woman
I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
It’s the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I’m a woman
Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can’t touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them,
They say they still can’t see.
It’s in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I’m a woman
Now you understand
Just why my head’s not bowed.
I don’t shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing,
It ought to make you proud.
It’s in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need for my care.
’Cause I’m a woman
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
I got tagged by the gorgeous Vainglorious which is awesome cause these posts are always fun to read! So here's the deal: You write 11 facts about you, answer 11 questions, make up 11 questions, and tag 11 people. Here goes nothing:
11 Facts About Me:
1. I'm an introverted extrovert. Sometimes i'm quiet and just listen. Take in everything that's happening around me. And at times i'm shy and awkward. Then... sometimes, i'll be one of the loudest most talkative person ever with hands waving everywhere when I talk and i'll basically go at a hundred words a second and you'll wish i'll stop talking lol!
2. I absolutely love being busy. If i'm not active, then i'm wasting my time. Wasted time=Crazy person with nothing to do. Crazy person with nothing to do will then do stupid things. So now i'm juggling 5 huge things that I have to be dedicated to.
3. I'm ambidextrous, use both my hands for daily tasks. I write best with my right hand and paint/draw better with my left one. (Oh and for those who read one of my past tag posts, I learned to open a water bottle this year) :D
4. I've been blessed to have spent some of my life living outside of Kuwait.
5. I tend to do the craziest most random things at the most unexpected moments.
6. I can't sit still. I love 7oosing around, the house, in my car, at uni.
7. I talk a lot, but it doesn't mean I share everything. Mala da3i details, if people care enough then they'll ask.
8. I absolutely love, FREAKING LOVE! Boyce Avenue, Meehad Hamad, and Switchfoot :D
9. I'm also lucky enough to have the coolest most unique friends ever! My friends are all extremely different from one another and I love 'em all to death. I've never been able to belong to one of those girl cliques or groups so it's always been just me, with a friend or two from a bunch of different groups. Can't really get along with all the Sheila's of the world :p
10. Attention span of a goldfish.
11. I like drawing on my hands. Mostly suns. I have this obsession with anything to do with the sun.
Vain's 11 Questions to answer:
1. Where in the world would you like to live?
Somewhere by the ocean :D
2. What's your favorite chocolate?
3. If aliens were real, do you think they're evil or peaceful?
Peaceful, and slimy and maybe even smelly, but peaceful.
4. What's the best book you've ever read?
The Kite Runner and The Alchemist, it's a tie.
5. What's your all time favorite movie?
White Chicks, gets me laughing every time!
6. What 3 songs you don't mind listening to for the rest of your life?
6air il7amaami, Fast Car, and Shimmer.
7. What would you fix in the world?
The people in it.
8. What language would you like to be fluent at?
9. If you had a monkey what would you name it?
10. What's your dream job?
To be an artist/professor/and editor for some magazine that makes me travel and go to cool places and events :D
11. How much do you love me? ;p
I know you hate Fairuz but... Shayif ilba7ar sho kbeeeer, kibr ilba7aar ba7ibak. So yeah, that's basically A LOT;**
1. What's the craziest thing you've done?
2. What's your favorite quote?
3. What's your favorite song?
4. How old are you?
5. Leave me a shout out :p
6. Do you like pie? If so.. then why the hell do you enjoy eating cooked fruit?
7. What's the thing you love the most about the country you're living in?
8. What's the thing you dislike the most about the country you're living in?
9. What's the best present anyone ever got you?
10. Favorite food?
11. Any pet peeves?
Tag you're it!
2. Ambrosial (yes you've been double tagged now you have to! )
4. Green Geek
7. New Bride
8. 3aib And The City
9. Adventures In Mona Land
10. Hijabs And Co
11. Bint il Kuwait
Friday, March 2, 2012
Forgotten by many, visited by few. Mubarkiya's got to be one of the most underrated places in Kuwait. Sometimes going to old places I visited a few days ago with my parents and made collages of the pictures we took. Voila:
Seeing as Mubarkiya's the place that's supposed to represent old Kuwait and parts of our culture, it should be taken care of. Imagine how awesome it would be if they rebuilt the parking places, made sure the shops sold appropriate things instead of weird knock offs. Held events like traditional dances at the center. Maybe even make a mini museum. I absolutely love Soug ilMubarkiya but I can't see it being a nice place to visit in a few decades if they don't start taking care of it and making sure it's well maintained. What are your favorite parts of the old soug?